Friday, October 12, 2012

Borscht

I made this in the crock pot this time and it was SO much easier than other ways I've made it. I personally LOVE this soup. The cabbage and beets together really just make it so delicious. It's good with either chicken or stew beef. I usually do chicken though. I've also been saving my chicken and beef broths throughout the weeks, storing them in the freezer to use at a later time for soups etc.

3-4 Chicken Breasts
3-4 Potatoes diced (Omit if on diet and you don't want to add them back yet. Just do extra of the other veggies)
1/4-1/2 of a Cabbage Shredded, about 2 Cups
1 Can Beets - I usually slice them up a little smaller, and I added the juice as well for that awesome purple color
1 Onion diced
2-3 Carrots diced
4 Tbl tomato Paste
4 Cups Chicken Broth
Season with :
Seasoning Salt
Mrs Dash
Garlic
Onion
Parsley

I threw everything except the broth, beets and paste into my bigger crockpot with a 1/4 cup water and seasoned it generously. I let it cook for about 4-5 hours. Then I added the paste, beets and broth. I let it simmer in the crock pot for another hour while I got my salad and pineapple ready.

Serve with sour cream, cheese and rolls or corn chips if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment