Saturday, October 6, 2012

Beef Stew

So this is one of my favorite meals, but I made my own beef broth this time. I made enough to store 3 or 4 containers of it in the freezer. When we went to the fresh beef place I bought the stew meat along with some beef bones (about 4). Recipe below:

Beef Broth

4 beef bones
8 cups of water
1-2 tsp of the following seasonings:
Season Salt
Garlic
Onion
I also had a vegetable seasoning blend I put in that had peppers, onions, sweet potatoes and some other spices.
You can season the water fairly heavily for a better flavor broth.
Bring to a boil then simmer on low for a 2-3 hours or longer if you want.

Beef Stew

1 pound beef stew meat
1/4 cup water
10 or so baby carrots
1-2 stalks diced celery
1 diced onion
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
Choose a couple or all of the following green vegetables:
Broccoli
Peas
Zuccini
Beans
Meanwhile in a crock pot put the beef, water, carrots, celery, onion and seasonings in the crock pot. Cook for 3 hours or until veggies are almost tender and meat is cooked through. Add the green vegetables you want and cook for another hour. The add about 2 cups of the beef broth and if the broth is still hot you can serve immediately, or let it heat through.

*if you like your soup to be a little bit thicker you can toss a spoonful or two of cornstarch or brown rice flour mix in the crock pot with the meat and veggies BEFORE putting the broth in. I stir it around till it's somewhat dissolved, then add the broth and let it heat till it's slightly thicker.

And of course as I finished the last bite of soup I realized I hadn't taken a picture of the finished product :( sorry! It was just so tastey!

No comments:

Post a Comment