Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Apple Butternut Squash Soup

I'm going to try this tonight so I may need to adjust some things after. This is an adaptation of an Apple Rutabaga Soup recipe I have. I've always just used butternut squash because I've never bought or seen a Rutabaga...  but feel free to try that and only use one cup butternut Squash. I also have another soup recipe similar to this from Gluten Free Goddess that uses Curry! Yum! Recipe Here

1/4 C  Oil
1 C  Onion chopped
1 C  Granny Smith Apple peeled, cored and chopped
2 C  Butternut Squash peeled and chopped (save the Seeds for a later recipe!)
1 C  Carrots peeled and chopped
1 C  Sweet potato peeled and chopped.
2  C Chicken Stock
2  Cups Water (or another two cups chicken stock if you have it)
1  Cans Coconut Milk
1/4 cup maple syrup (omit if on the clean out diet)
Salt and Cayenne pepper to taste

Cook all the veggies in the oil in a large soup pot. Cook until Onions are translucent.
Add Water and Chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Simmer 20-25 minutes until the veggies are tender.
Puree it in a blender, put it back in the pot and add the coconut milk, and maple syrup.
Salt and Pepper to TASTE! (I always forget to taste before I serve)
Return to a simer, and serve!

Serves 6-8


I'll probably cut the recipe in half since there's only 4 of us, and probably one one of us who will REALLY like it :)


 
Post cooking notes: I did about 3-4 cups Chicken stock instead of water and originally I put 2 cans of coconut milk but one is plenty. Also you could probably even do it without if you wanted. It looked pretty good before I added it. I also found a Rutabaga at the store! I still have some of it left and I'm going to try boiling the rest and then frying it up like I do with the Beets:) I also didn't add any maple syrup and it was plenty sweet. And I was right only one of us liked it... well actually the littlest guy did too... but I won't tell you that it's sort of like the baby food I feed him because that would ruin it for all of you ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment