Saturday, November 17, 2012

Gluten Free Pumpkin Chiffon Pie!

Here is another of my dear grandmother's delicious recipes, plus a pie crust recipe adapted from "Gluten Free Baking Classics". I like this pie because it's light and fluffy. It's also tasty with whipped cream. I've seen recipes for whipped cream made with coconut milk so it would be dairy free.

Today I'm thankful for babies. Despite keeping me up for nearly two hours last night. He's learning to crawl and he sits himself up and then can't lay back down. Or he backs himself through the crib bars and can't roll over etc. But I just LOVE babies! I love their sweet innocent smiles. I love when only mommy can make it better. I love when I can figure out what's wrong and fix it. I love snuggling them and kissing them. I love making them laugh. I love swaddling a newborn and watching them drift off to sleep in my arms. I love it when they are asleep. I love watching them learning new skills like crawling, clapping, smiling, walking, etc. I'm just grateful for babies and the perspective of sweet innocence they bring into life.

Also if you live near a Whole Foods they sell a premade pie crust that is pretty good that I do a lot of times just because it's easier.


Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

1 envelope unflavored gelatin (1 Tbsp)
2/3 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1 1/4 Cup canned pumpkin
3 egg yolks (save whites off to the side)
1/2 C milk (I used almond milk)

Blend all of this in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it boils. Remove from heat and place pan in cold water. Cook until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.

Beat the egg whites until foamy, gradually adding 1/2 cup sugar. Carefully fold into the pumpkin mixture.

Pour into a cooled pie crust. Chill in fridge until set. (2 hours). Top with whipped cream.


Pie Crust

1 cup and 2 Tbl brown rice flour mix
2 Tbl sweet rice flour
1 Tbl sugar
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbl shortening or coconut oil (or unsalted butter for dairy eaters)
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 375 and grease pie pan and dust with rice flour. Mix all the dry ingredients in  your mixer. Then add the shortening or oil, mix until crumbly. Add egg and mix on low until the dough holds together. (It should not be sticky). Roll the dough inbetween two sheets of wax paper until its 1 inch thick. If dough is sticky refridgerate for 15 mins. Take off wax paper and put into pie pan. Prick crust and bake for about 25 minutes. (or 10 min for baked pies) Keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment