Sunday, February 24, 2013

Chicken Noodle Soup

As many of you know the last month has been a bit of a trial for our family. We have been battling some form of the stomach flu (we think the norovirus) for over 4 weeks. I've tried everything I can possibly think of and yet, just two days ago I picked it up again and was really sick. Not to mention the cold I had on top of that. Needless to say we have been giving our kids a very basic diet, and I made this soup the other day (for the second or third time) that turned out quite delicious and so during this lovely flu season I thought I would share yet another soup... :) 

I officially fail at taking pictures of my food, much less good ones. It's usually gone before I realize I forgot to snap a shot!! But here's one I found of the soup (nearly gone, as you can see) and then just some other random pictures of some bone in chicken breasts. Also a picture of  a brand of chicken broth I like if you decide NOT to use the bone in chicken and make your own broth, you can use that and just some boneless skinless chicken breasts

2 Large Bone in Chicken Breasts (these are great because they usually go on sale for 99 cents a pound and the bones are supposed to make excellent broth, not to mention bone marrow is really healing and healthy for your gut.)
2-3 stalks of celery chopped fine (I like to use the inside really leafy ones, I like that flavor better)
1 medium sized onion diced
2-3 carrots peeled and sliced
3 Tablespoons olive oil
5 cups water
2-3 tsp Ms Dash
2 tsp minced garlic, or garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 Tablespoon seasoning salt
1 Tablespoon parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup dry gluten free pasta (I like to use corn pasta because it takes a lot longer to get mushy)

Cook the onion, celery, and garlic in the oil. Once it's cooked through add the water, the chicken and the seasonings. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for and hour. (two if your chicken started out frozen, like mine usually does)Pull out the chicken and see if it's done.If the chicken doesn't come off the bone easily, put it back in the water for another 30 minutes. De-bone the chicken and remove the skin.  Cut up the chicken into smaller chunks and put back in the soup. Add the carrots. Then about 10 minutes before you are ready to serve, add the pasta, turn up the heat and boil until the pasta is cooked. Taste before serving and don't be afraid to add extra seasonings, sometimes after simmering that long the seasoning get a little bland.

*If you want to make this soup in the morning, follow the instrucions minus the pasta part. Throw it all, except the pasta, in the crock pot on low. Add the pasta about 30 minutes before serving, or cook the pasta (or even rice) separate and add right before serving.





This is the chicken broth I like to use sometimes
This is bone in chicken cooked in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment